Is SEO All a Big Scam or is It Worthwhile?
We all hear the word ‘SEO’ being thrown around a lot lately. But what is it really? Chances are, if your business doesn’t have an official website, you won’t have a clue about SEO. Well, to put it in simple terms, SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation, is what makes your website rank higher in search engines like Google. Ranking higher in turn means you will get more traffic which should then translate into more sales or enquiries.
How can SEO help you?
Think about it this way- When you go shopping for clothes, you head straight for the clothes on the rack right? Probably because those are the ones you can see easily. Also, the store employees will put the newer stuff in front because that’s what is in demand right now. Similarly, Google places the websites with captivating and original content on its very first page of search results. Thus, enabling people to gain access to the sites which satisfy their needs the best!
SEO can definitely help you get higher rankings on Google. However, today, a lot of people are being ripped off by so called ‘SEO experts’- some of whom probably don’t even know what the initials stand for! As a result, there are a lot of website owners who think SEO is a major scam.
Unfortunately, it can be. There are still SEO companies that take your money, but do not make any discernable difference to the sites ranking, traffic and profits. On the other hand, when SEO is done well, it can make a huge difference and provide great ROI.
What do you need to look for in a good SEO company?
- • In depth knowledge: Your ‘SEO experts’ need to truly be experts in their field. They need to have in depth knowledge of what Google is looking for and they need to know how to use their knowledge to bring in positive results for your business like more website traffic and an increase in sales.
- • They should not lock you into a contract: Each month the SEO company needs to prove their worth and show that they are giving you a good return on investment. Don’t ever settle for anything less than the best! You’re paying them to make your website more popular and convert the web traffic into sales. So, ensure that they make it happen before you sign on the dotted line, i.e. make a permanent contract with them.
- • Monthly reports: They should provide you with monthly reports showing an improvement in website traffic and solid plans for improving the website further.
- • Affordable: SEO should definitely fit into your budget. It shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.
- • Good communication: Your SEO experts should be in constant contact with you and should communicate all the latest developments and also mark the areas which need to improve regularly.
- • Social media skills: They need to know how to make the best use of the social networking sites that are available today. If used correctly, all it takes is a few catchy Facebook posts, tweets or Instagram pictures to make your company or your products extremely popular!
The key to benefitting from SEO is to find the right SEO company, one that knows the ins and outs of search engine optimisation and leverage it to your site’s advantage.