Time waits for no man. I’m sure you’ve heard that quote a bunch of times over the years. Think that this has no connection to the busy corporate world? Think again. It is now becoming essential that companies move with the times or get left behind- this is especially true with regard to the wide world of internet marketing!
More and more businesses, today, are realising the importance of using the internet to capture a bigger market share and to get their message across to millions of people from all over. Internet marketing practically knows no limits and with online shopping already a major trend all over the world, companies- both struggling as well as established- are restructuring their marketing strategies to include SEO and social media marketing.
What are the basics that you need to be aware about?
- • Unique content: You cannot compromise on this at all! Your content should be unique, exciting, regular and innovative for it to really capture people’s interest. Google will also penalise you for copied content. So make it your own, make it interesting and reap the rewards.
- • SEO is all about structure: Google looks at a website like you would look through the front door of a house that you are about to enter. If the structure is somehow not right, then the house would look messy and uninviting to Google. If the structure is solid and the house itself is clean and tidy, then search engines like Google would find it welcoming and inviting.
- • Heading structure: The correct heading structure is important- it should be about one H1 (main heading), with multiple H2s (sub headings) and H3s (sub, sub heading) if needed.
- • Keywords: For each landing page- each url, page title, H1 header and the content should match the desired keyword for that page.
- • Your sitemap should be up-to-date and should match the website layout: A sitemap is basically a ‘road map’ included in your website structure which states the various web pages and sections that your website consists of. It is essential that this should match the layout of your site because it helps Search Engines navigate and crawl all the right pages without missing any. It should be dynamic and grow (or shrink) as the website changes.
- • No broken links: Having broken links on your website or links to pages which no longer exist can be extremely frustrating for a person who is viewing your website. You have to remember that people have limited patience and their attention is constantly being drawn by your competitors as well. When a search engine like Google sees a broken link they don’t like it!
- • Sizing and labeling of images should be done correctly: If your images are too big, they tend to take really long to load every time someone opens your website. If your site takes too long to load, people are going to start looking elsewhere for what they require and your site probably won’t rank anywhere in Google’s top search results. Labelling an image correctly helps you rank for that image – a lot of people these days search for images.
What we have to remember is that when a search engine such as Google recommends your website for any search their reputation is at stake. Google have a lot to lose if they start recommending bad, copied, slow and irrelevant websites.
Is SEO or Search Engine Optimisation something that can be done by yourself or do you need to hire professionals to handle it for you? Well, this is a question that only you can answer for yourself. However, when in doubt, it is always best to hand over the task to an expert in the field.